Do you know what is voted as the most unforgettable moment of Australian TV history? It is this speech by the former Prime Minister of Australia, Julia Gillard who roasted the then opposition leader Tony Abbott for his sexism and double standards. We can learn something from this intimidating speech if we want to appear as fearless, authoritative, and confident:
- No 'uhm' and 'ahh' throughout her speech.
- Direct and steady eye contact at everyone sitting opposite her (the opposition party) when she talked.
- Appropriate and not-too-much gestures with 'tipping' gesture to emphasize her points and standing straight with shoulders in an open position that make her looks like someone to be taken seriously.
- Not allowing anyone to interrupt her and continued her speech as she needed to.
- Emotionless expressions and not showing too much of anger to remain professional.
- Slightly faster speaking rate that sounds really intimidating and surely overwhelmed for Tony Abbott to listen.
Watch her speech here: